St. Johann-Baptist Kirche in Haidhausen was built from 1852 to 1874 according to plans by Matthias Berger. The terracotta coloured neo-Gothic church immediately catches the eye, especially the 90 meter high west tower, making it is one of the largest churches in Munich.
The Erloeserkirche, Evangelische in Munich Schwabing originating in 1901 is a symbol change in architecture and art with artists looking for new forms of expression. The clock faces are fine examples of the Art Nouveau style of which for Munich is renown.
The Müllersche Volksbad’s magnificent art nouveau design makes it one of Europe’s most beautiful swimming pools. This bathing temple on the Isar opened its doors in 1901. The engineer Karl Müller donated the Müllersche Volksbad to the city of Munich on the condition that it built a pool for the poor. Almost all of the notable […]
The Isartor at the Isartorplatz in Munich is one of four main gates of the medieval city wall. It served as a fortification for the defence and is the most easterly of Munich’s three remaining gothic town gates. The gate (German: Tor) is located close to the Isar and was named after the river. The Isartor is the only medieval gate in Munich which has retained its main […]
The Altes Rathaus documented for the first time in 1310, had its Grand Hall (Großer Saal) constructed in 1392/1394. The former Talburg Gate (Talburgtor) of the first city wall serves as spire. The Old Town Hall was re-designed in late-gothic style by Jörg von Halsbach 1470-1480. After alterations of the facade during the Renaissance and again in the Baroque the building was restored in neo-gothicstyle 1861-1864. During […]